Re: F31 System-Wide Change proposal: Enable Compiler Security hardening flags by default in G

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 01:03:19PM +0000, Tomasz Kłoczko wrote:
> > > Just try to execute "update-po" target in gcc/ and you will see that
> > > only by this single command is possible to reduce gcc/po/ directory
> > > content by ~2MB (which is about 5% and that is only in one directory
> > > with translations) which says that for quite long time no one cares
> > > that most of the translations are not up-to-date.
> >
> > The translations are provided to gcc by a different project -
> > translationproject.org - some translations are in very good shape, others
> > are lacking, but that doesn't mean translations aren't useful.
> > gcc has around 13000 translatable messages and quite a lot of that changes
> > from release to release.
> >

> Sorry to say that but you just told that that you don't know enough about
> maintaining translation :P

Sorry but you are wrong, it is unclear from what you are judging this.  We as
the GCC project have procedures to maintain translations, new gcc.pot is not
regenerated daily but usually twice before a major release (usually at the
start of stage4 development phase and shortly before release) and on major/minor
releases, as you can see in https://translationproject.org/domain/gcc.html
It isn't worth bothering our translators with new changes every day.
The latest gcc.pot regeneration/upload was February 2nd, so there are almost
two months of further changes.  While I'm not a translation maintainer, I've
spent quite a lot of time including this year working with the translators
to improve the diagnostics, so that it is better translatable or easier to
handle for the translators, see e.g. http://gcc.gnu.org/PR40883 meta-bug
and the recent changes.
In our project rules the *.po files are maintained by the
translationproject.org, we never make changes to those, just regenerate the
pot and upload it and when updates are available from translators merge
those back.  I'm not going to violate this stuff with a GCC downstream
Fedora hat.

	Jakub