Re: On not bumping the epoch in ceph-14, f30 and f31/rawhide

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 9:12 AM Kaleb Keithley <kkeithle@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 8:22 AM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Heck, the spec file
>> that is in Fedora is basically an openSUSE spec with Fedora
>> conditionals in it.
>

> The ceph.spec file in Fedora is  based on the upstream ceph.spec.in file; not on anything in/from openSUSE.
>
> The upstream ceph.spec.in file is full of Fedora and SUSE conditionals.
>
> If openSUSE also used the upstream spec file then it shouldn't surprise anyone that they are similar.

I'm keenly aware of where that spec file comes from, since I saw how
it was developed. It did start out as something for Fedora, but SUSE
folks started actively contributing in 2012 and merging their
packaging into upstream, changing it from a Fedora-style package to a
SUSE-style one.

Today, Ceph packaging in OBS is fetched through a source service and
used pretty much verbatim from upstream. I imagine you do something
similar to bring it downstream, too.

I'm not begrudging them of it, mind you. But it's a lie to say that it
isn't an openSUSE-style spec file. It's nice to know that we're mostly
compatible these days...