Re: Introducing packit

Hi Miro, sorry for a late reply: I wanted to think it through. Comments inline.

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 4:43 PM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 20. 02. 19 23:24, Tomas Tomecek wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > at DevConf.cz, we have introduced a new project: packit [1] [2].
> > [1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpF27v6K4Oc
> > [2] https://github.com/packit-service/packit
>
>  From the ticket:
>
>  >> FESCo is concerned that the presented idea of how this automation
>  >> should work is only applicable to a very limited set of packages and
>  >> would rather see a focus on automating stuff for greater
>  >> audience.
>  >
>  > Yes and no. With source-git [3] this is applicable to any project.
>  >
>  > [3] https://github.com/packit-service/packit#ehm-whats-source-git
>
> This sounds like it is only applicable to projects:
>
>   - controlled by Fedora AND
>   - not concerned by the separation of concerns between upstream and downstream.

That's correct. Our short-term plan for packit is that people who are
upstreams (or are interested in the source-git workflow) would use it
to land their releases into Fedora.

> However it says something about source-git only projects as well. This seems
> like it is adding one extra level of complexity. Care to elaborate how this
> works exactly?
>
>   A) for the package maintain who deliberately chose to do this

Such packager would only work in the source-git/upstream repository
and would NOT need to touch dist-git in any way: packit would handle
everything.

Basically: do work in the upstream repo, make a release and packit
would propose a PR in Fedora dist-git to update to the upstream
release. Very similar steps for source-git.

>   B) for a provenpackager doing a mass change (e.g. removing  py2 subpackages)

Just do it. We plan for packit to sync spec file changes back to
upstream/source-git (listen to fedmsg events from dist-git). So that
they are equal in both places.

>   C) for releng doing a mass rebuild

^ it's the same

I understand that the workflow is not suitable for a bunch of
projects. Right now we have a set of goals to fulfill. Once they are
done (by Flock), we can start talking about how to make it suitable
for everyone. If that makes sense.

Tomas