Re: Proposal: Abandon v8 package

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 at 16:24, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 7:02 PM Elliott Sales de Andrade
> <quantum.analyst@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Let's try this again, but CC'ing the package owners.
> >
> > On 2019-02-17 9:12 p.m., Elliott Sales de Andrade wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Sorry for resurrecting a long-dead thread, but a few things happened recently:
> > > 1. v8 was just retired last week or so,
> > > 2. R-V8 just ported itself from v8-314 to v8 LTS 6/7.
> > >
> > > Currently, R-V8 supports both v8-314 and v8, but as the latter fixes several downstream package issues, it is the recommended build target. I expect that eventually they will stop supporting 314 as well. This leaves me in a bit of a pickle as it does not bundle v8 and neither I nor upstream have any plans to build it ourselves.

> > > In Debian, the nodejs package provides a stable *shared* v8 library, and the recommended install is against libnode-dev. Unfortunately, in Fedora, while nodejs-devel provides v8.h, it does *not* provide any shared library.
> > >
> > > Is this something we can also do in Fedora, i.e., split out a nodejs-libs subpackage, or similar?
> > >

> I've been keeping the Node.js packages in Fedora alive, but on
> life-support, for a couple years now. I don't have the cycles to look
> into a significant rework of how they're designed. If you have ideas
> for how to do what you're asking, I will happily review a pull request
> to http://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/nodejs

OK, I've sent a pull-request to do so [1]. It essentially mimics what
the Debian package does (pass --shared and then manually install the
executable since their script will only install one or the other.) The
other changes just make sure paths are correct for tests to work. It
works for me [2] to build R-V8 (though copr gets stuck building nodejs
on x86_64 for some reason.)

[1] https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/nodejs/pull-request/4
[2] https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/qulogic/nodejs-R-V8/builds/

--