Re: Ditch RPM in favor of DPKG

> For what it's worth, this was a terrible lede for this email. And

I couldn't help it, my inner prankster insisted :)

> having worked extensively with both package managers, I can sincerely
> tell you both are ugly as hell, but rpm is less ugly than dpkg.

Yes, I'm not saying that rpm is perfect, but at least I can wrap my
head around the tooling, the installation process (in a broad sense)
and the tools built on top like yum/dnf or mock.

The range of tools from dpkg to sbuild/pdebuild make little sense to
me, even after gaining significant experience because of $DAYJOB.

> Thankfully, I don't need to go into the reasons why, because this is
> not actually about switching to dpkg and its completely terrible
> system.

Apologies on behalf of my inner prankster :)

> If all you wanted was the rest of the tooling in so you can build
> Debian packages in Fedora, that's really not a problem. I made an
> apt-dpkg package a while ago and worked with APT upstream to make it
> build and have the tests work (mostly) on Fedora a couple of years
> ago. I imported it into COPR so you can see it:
> https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/ngompa/apt-dpkg/build/860086/
>
> Instead of renaming the apt package to apt-rpm, we can introduce the
> apt-dpkg package that conflicts with apt for your purposes.

But I've been bit by "dnf install apt" in the past and I think we
should stick to upstream naming.

> I wish we could have the rpm backend integrated into the Debian
> upstream apt, but someone needs to drive that effort, and no one
> really cares anymore. It hasn't happened in the past due to
> frustrations with working with Debian upstream, and now it's diverged
> so much that they are separate upstreams. My understanding is that the
> current upstream developers are interested in an rpm backend, but they
> don't want to do any effort to make it happen.
>
> Also, you can build debs using RPM spec files[1], if you're aware
> enough to handle the differences. :)
>
> [1]: https://github.com/ascherer/debbuild

I'm not aware, and that probably wouldn't work for $DAYJOB.

Thanks for stepping up as a reviewer!

Dridi