Re: MBI (Playground 2.0)

On Sunday, February 3, 2019 9:45:06 PM CET Neal Gompa wrote:
> Would it be possible to extend COPR to support multiple locations for
> builders? For example, in addition to an OpenStack system, builders
> could be hosted on an oVirt system, or AWS, or GCP, and so on? That way
> it can support on-premise deployments and cloudy deployments too.

I have implemented something along those lines in the Red Hat internal
Copr deployment.  There's something like middleware between Copr and VM
providers which allocates the VMs a flexible way on multiple places.
This feature is tracked in https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1334701 .

This would be really trivial to deploy for Fedora Copr - if there was use
for it (are there any resources which could rise throughput in Fedora
Copr?).  That said, this is not much of technical problem to me, but
rather policy/funding problem nowadays.

> Perhaps supporting even some limited form of auto-scaling for when it
> needs to "burst" to support more build traffic using clouds or
> hypervisors? For example, you could use AWS spot instances to do it on
> the cheap for the time a builder needs to run, and then have it go away
> afterward. I've done builds this way with buildbot and you can do
> thousands of builds for really cheap (on the order of hundreds of
> dollars each year).

This is really interesting idea...

Pavel