Re: F30 Self-Contained Change proposal: MongoDB Removal

> On 30 Jan 2019, at 17:06, John Harris <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Tuesday, January 29, 2019 10:28:46 PM EST Neal Gompa wrote:

>>> For what reason is SSPL considered non-free? As I see, it's essentially a
>>> GPL incompatible AGPL license.
>>>

>> It restricts fields of endeavor and how you can use it. That conflicts
>> with freedom 0 of the Free Software Definition. In addition, no one is
>> sure it's actually possible to comply with the SSPL as worded, since
>> it attempts to convert the licensing of everything that's part of the
>> running system, including things not directly linked to it.
>
> The ability to use proprietary software in combination with free software is
> not part of Freedom 0.

But the SSPL also prevents you from using Free Software with it, unless you have sufficient rights to offer said Free Software under the SSPL, as per section 13 of the SSPL.

I do not have sufficient rights to relicence the Linux kernel under the SSPL - it's not GPLv2 compatible - and the Linux kernel is one part of a service I might choose to offer using only Free Software from Fedora's repos, plus an SSPL licensed component.

Thus, I'm stuck - I can't use non-SSPL software from Fedora (or, indeed, from the FSF) in combination with SSPL licensed software to provide a service, even if I *also* make the full source of the entire service available, since I'm not making the source available under the SSPL.

--
Simon