Re: F30 System-Wide Change proposal: Replace Comps Language Group With Langpacks

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 12:49 AM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 02:56:59PM -0500, Ben Cotton wrote:
> Congratulations to the last System-Wide Change proposal of F30!
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Replace_Comps_Language_Group_With_Langpacks
>
> == Summary ==
> Language support groups in Comps file will get replaced by langpacks
> package. With this Change we want meta-packages like langpacks-ja to
> also install required fonts and input-methods for the given language.

What is the actual benefit of this change? It looks like a nice
cleanup, but apart from that?

This Change will benefit to install all the possible language related packages for a given language using langpacks-<lang> meta-package. First this Change is important so that once we get single package installation giving needed language support packages we can further work to use this meta-package in gnome-software or in the required Gnome package to install the language support automatically.

Also, This will benefit libreoffice package to remove following from its specfile and only test the libreoffice UI rendering for the given default language font(s) using langpacks
Requires: font(:lang=<lang>)

It seems that 'dnf install group @lang-foo'
is not different from 'dnf install langpack-bar'.

Right. Currently, the dnf group install command provides more language support packages compared to langpacks-<lang> meta-package.

Regards,
Parag