F30 System-Wide Change proposal: Replace Comps Language Group With Langpacks

Congratulations to the last System-Wide Change proposal of F30!

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Replace_Comps_Language_Group_With_Langpacks

== Summary ==
Language support groups in Comps file will get replaced by langpacks
package. With this Change we want meta-packages like langpacks-ja to
also install required fonts and input-methods for the given language.

== Owner ==
* Name: [[User:petersen| Jens Petersen]]
* Email:  petersen at fedoraproject dot org
* Name: [[User:pnemade| Parag Nemade]]
* Email: pnemade at fedoraproject dot org

== Detailed Description ==
This change will remove the need of having the language specific comps
groups in Fedora.

We already have ''langpacks-*'' packages in Fedora since F24.
Currently they are installing language packages for translations,
dictionaries etc. but not fonts or input-methods. With this Change we
will try to install fonts and input-methods as well.
E.g. if you net-install Fedora in Japanese language then installation
of any base package like libreoffice-core or man-pages are installing
automatically libreoffice-langpack-ja or man-pages-ja but langpacks-ja
is not installing any Japanese font or input-method.
But now with using RPM tags or weak dependencies like Supplements, we
can get font as well as input-method packages installed as well on the
system.
There is no need of language comps groups to exist, they will be
replaced by langpacks.

This Change is originally submitted at https://pagure.io/i18n/issue/97

== Benefit to Fedora ==
Users can install complete language support now using langpacks only.
This will also help to remove the language support groups from the
comps file.

== Scope ==
* Proposal owners: Check all langpacks providing packages (like fonts,
input-methods) add Supplements tag in their SPEC file and build them.
We will track the progress of this Change in
[https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/pnemade/langpacks/ Langpacks
Copr] project.
* Other developers: To all other developers of packages who provides
langpacks, they need to add the Supplements tag as given in this
[https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Langpacks Langpacks
guideline] to each langpack subpackage.
* Release engineering: none
* Policies and guidelines: none

== Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
None.

== How To Test ==

* [[QA:Langpacks]]

== User Experience ==
Currently users can get complete language support installed only using
"''dnf group install <lang-support>''" command. After this Change gets
implemented end users can get language support installed using
meta-packages "''langpacks-<langcode>"'' only

== Dependencies ==
No Other Change depend on this.

== Contingency Plan ==
* Contingency mechanism: If this change is not completed by final
development freeze then we need to target this for F31. We are just
proposing to add additional information in langpacks packages that is
Supplements tag. This should not affect individual langpacks packages
installation by dnf.
* Contingency deadline: I don't think we will need anything to revert
or apply any contingency plan here if this is not completed by beta
freeze.
* Blocks release? No
* Blocks product? N/A

== Documentation ==
* Need to add about this in the Release notes

--
Ben Cotton
Fedora Program Manager