Re: Editions vs. Spins (was: Re: F30: System-Wide Change proposal: DNF UUID)

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 09:12:51PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > It's not an artificial distinction. Editions are particular solutions
> > targeting particular key use cases identified by the Fedora Board (and now
> > Council). This is different from a desktop Spin, which is focused on
> > delivering that particular technology, or from Labs, which are focused on
> > more niche use cases.
> This is a political/marketing distinction and not a technical one.

Yes.

> > Fedora is a Project. That Project makes an operating system platform and
> > various operating system and platform solutions.
>
> Oh no, not the KDE rebranding fiasco here too!
>
> Almost everyone still calls "KDE Plasma" just "KDE", despite all the
> insistence that "KDE" is not a particular piece of software (anymore), but a
> community. Trying to do the same to the "Fedora" brand is going to flop
> exactly the same way.

This is not new. In Mo's blog post about the history of the Fedora logo,
there are separate logos for "Fedora Project" and for "Fedora Core" —  the
OS deliverable. Merging Core and Extras into one thing was absolutely the
right thing to do for the project, but not having a unique name for the
resulting OS was a mistake and leads to this. Ah well.

I'm not going to go out of my way to crusade about this by tracking down
people who Say It Wrong On The Internet, but I think as a project we can at
least attempt to be internally consistent, and I think there are huge
benefits in making sure Fedora (the project) isn't tied to one particular
output.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>