Re: Editions vs. Spins (was: Re: F30: System-Wide Change proposal: DNF UUID)

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 07:51:34PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> I think John's statement was pretty clear: The artificial distinction
> between "Editions" and "Spins" needs to go away.

It's not an artificial distinction. Editions are particular solutions
targeting particular key use cases identified by the Fedora Board (and now
Council). This is different from a desktop Spin, which is focused on
delivering that particular technology, or from Labs, which are focused on
more niche use cases.

Since this is an offshoot of a thread about metrics, I want to emphasize
that by all the metrics we have, this has been *very* successful. Fedora
numbers were flat-to-decreasing when we started this, and now they're
steeply up and growing.

> So if that is your concern, the solution would be to define some minimum
> formal requirements for a Spin to be listed on the get.fp.o front page. But
> then those requirements should also apply to the 3 "Editions": if they don't
> fit the criteria, they should be kicked out as well. (I could see that
> possibly happenening for Server or Atomic/Silverblue at some point. The
> Fedora user base is clearly desktop-centric. But I am NOT saying that they
> should necessarily be delisted, just that they should be held to the same
> maintenance standards as the Spins.)

There *are* "some minimum formal requirements". An Edition is a Fedora
solution made by a formal Fedora Working Group in response to a strategic
use case identified by the community through the Fedora Council. The WG
needs formal membership, needs to meet regularly, and needs to have a
regularly-refreshed requirements document.

> That said, I am pretty sure that if the Spins were more prominently
> advertised, they would be more likely to attract helping hands. As it stands
> now, users not yet familiar with Fedora might not even realize that the
> Spins even exist.

I really, really, strongly encourage the team behind each spin to advertise
more prominently. The Council is even willing to allocate funds as necessary
to help do that.

> Fedora is an operating system that you can use, share, distribute, and
> modify as you like, all completely for free. <a href=…>More information</a>.

Fedora is a Project. That Project makes an operating system platform and
various operating system and platform solutions.

[...]

Your "choose your Fedora adventure" page is interesting, but not new. We
talked about this with the design team and they're really not in favor of
that as the primary user experience for people who don't know what they
want. It can be overwhelming and potentially full of traps.

I think it's better to not focus so much on the central page or on the
"getfedora" brochure site, and to instead make the page for each particular
solution more useful and more discoverable.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>