Re: F30: System-Wide Change proposal: DNF UUID

Le 2019-01-08 04:00, Matthew Miller a écrit :
On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 11:09:48PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
Please no! This is an inherent privacy violation. I hate software doing this and I always opt out of it. I find it especially worrying that Free Software
is now doing this more and more often, this used to be something only
privacy-violating proprietary software would do.

Since there is no personal information attached, I don't see how on the face of it this is a privacy violation. I want to take this concern seriously,
but I need more to go on than "this is inherent". Can you elaborate?

That's not how you need to think of it.

Basically, the European definition is that if it can be correlated to personal information, it *is* personal information, regardless of what the original info is in isolation.

That means that if you want it not to be personal info, you need to make bloody sure it is not shared with data aggregators, your protect against leaking to systems that allows correlation, and every time there is an advance in big data processing that enables more kinds of correlation, that automatically restricts what you can safely collect.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot