Re: F30: System-Wide Change proposal: DNF UUID

On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 11:09:48PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Please no! This is an inherent privacy violation. I hate software doing this
> and I always opt out of it. I find it especially worrying that Free Software
> is now doing this more and more often, this used to be something only
> privacy-violating proprietary software would do.

Since there is no personal information attached, I don't see how on the face
of it this is a privacy violation. I want to take this concern seriously,
but I need more to go on than "this is inherent". Can you elaborate?

> You will never be able to reliably count all Fedora installations. Any UUID
> you introduce can be opted out of, bypassed, etc. Installations using local
> mirrors for updates will never send you a UUID to begin with. All numbers
> will always be estimates, no matter how deeply you invade our privacy in an
> attempt to get a supposedly better count.

It's true that it will always be an estimate. I think this scheme gives a
reasonable better estimate.

> I also don't see why it is so important to have an absolute count of Fedora
> users. IMHO, data like the relative download frequency of the different
> Fedora deliverables is much more interesting (though you have to keep in
> mind that the download count does not necessarily reflect the true user
> preferences because deliverables that you advertise more prominently will
> necessarily get downloaded more often than those hidden behind several
> clicks from the download page).

The download count is *really* noisy. There are an order of magnitude more
bot and automatic downloads then there are ones that seem initiated by a
human. Maybe this is due to automated systems, but I suspect it is basically
just the horrible nature of the internet. Unless we were to gate downloads
with a captcha or registration (which, uh, we don't want, just to be clear),
I don't see any way to make those numbers useful.

> But sending a UUID inherently also allows to track the machine. There is no
> way for the user to be sure that the UUID will not be used to track them.
> Even if the software on the Fedora infrastructure is completely open and
> audited, there might still be some proxy in the middle, some mirror
> operator, etc. abusing the UUID for tracking purposes. And besides, the user
> would in all cases have to trust that Fedora really runs the published code
> and only the published code on the infrastructure servers.

Like I said, tracking is a non-goal. And, we want a design that is resistant
to tracking -- but I don't think we need to go overboard.

> Such a tracking feature must be opt-in, not opt-out! See also the EU GDPR.

This will be reviewed by lawyers. And, I do note that what I am proposing is
nothing more than what openSUSE already does.

> > * We need to be able to distinguish between short-lived instances
> > (like temporary containers or test machines) and actual installations.
> And how would you accomplish that? Other than an "I am a test installation"
> checkbox in the installer, I don't see at all how it could be done.

One method: separate UUIDs which only show up on a single day. (This is why
a UUID is better than just a ping.)

[...]
> The installation would also only end up recognized as permanent after the 24
> hours pass. And who says a test installation cannot last more than 24 hours?
> I think it can last at least a week, but that also means that it would take
> a whole week until you can reasonably assume that an installation is
> probably permanent.

Sure, it's a threshold and we'd have to set a balance.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>