Re: F30: System-Wide Change proposal: DNF UUID

Le 2019-01-07 23:44, John Harris a écrit :
On Monday, January 7, 2019 5:20:55 PM EST Bruno Wolff III wrote:
On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 22:54:46 +0100, Tom Gundersen <teg@xxxxxxx> wrote:

So this allows better tracking than if you just had to go by IP, time and
other information in the requests.

Keep in mind that we do not want tracking, at all. Just counting. That said, your message certainly does highlight some of the risks of using this proposed
UUID system.

We don't need to be thinking of more things to track about the user, but ways
to prevent tracking and still get the counts the Council wants.

Pretty much everything that has been described so far is the usual sleazeware tracking, with the usual sleazeware justifications (“everyone else doing it is evil but I’m not” “I know I’m good so I don’t need to take care” “hijacking of benign mechanisms to ambush users, they’re not aware I'm using them this way that makes it good” “I know I’m using it for good, not my problem if others can reuse it for evil” and so on), and the usual focus on getting accurate counts over caring about side effects.

You can turn it all the way you like getting accurate counts means disambiguating systems which means tracking, regardless if you do it in a central way or via system agents.

And yes we know it makes it easier for marketing people to know pretty much everything about the user base, getting a few billions of free money would make *my* life easier that does not mean I’m going to get them.

If you want to be trusted:

1. it needs to be opt-out not opt-in (ie an explicit question in the installer, with no tracking unless the user says yes) 2. it needs to be easily audited and disabled post-install (ie a separate explicitly named and described package, not a setting or a built-in hidden in a mass of other things) 3. there need to be a lot of though on how the collection process or the collected data could be misappropriated and how to make sure to protect against it 4. how it is used and how it can be audited and disabled needs to be described in a stable public legally binding and easy to find document

And I strongly suggest a review by European privacy experts, since the level of awareness on this kind of things in the USA is pretty low.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot