Re: F30: System-Wide Change proposal: DNF UUID

> > Since there is no personal information attached, I don't see how on the
> > face of it this is a privacy violation. I want to take this concern
> > seriously, but I need more to go on than "this is inherent". Can you
> > elaborate?
>
> I detailed it further down my message: my concern is that the UUID can
> theoretically be used to track users, to build personas out of them from the
> packages downloaded by the UUID, and in the extreme case even to identify

My understanding is the UUID would be just used at the MirrorManager
level, the packages get pulled from the mirrors directly, even with IP
address data we have now we can't correlate the packages installed by
an IP.

> the person owning the UUID by name (e.g., if a package downloaded by the
> UUID is downloaded only by 1 person and you find some bug report for it in
> Bugzilla). I don't care that you promise that you won't do it, the fact is
> that you *can*. And possibly others can too, depending on how exactly this
> is implemented.

If we had the data from the mirrors it would be possible to do that
now especially with devices that aren't behind CG-NAT or running on
IPv6, but given we don't get the logs from mirrors it's not possible
in the current state and I don't see this changing by adding a UUID.