Re: Fedora 30 Self-Contained Change proposal: DeepinDE

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 9:11 AM Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 2:22 PM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
> <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 03:16:18PM -0500, Ben Cotton wrote:
> > > == Benefit to Fedora ==
> > >
> > > Deepin Desktop Environment will make Fedora a more interesting for
> > > users who prefer another choice of a shining desktop environment.
> >
> > It's nice to see this big effort finally coming to fruition.

Thanks for your help in reviewing so many packages!

> > > == How To Test ==
> > > You can install the Deepin Desktop Environment in Fedora like below.
> > >
> > > If you don't have other desktop installed before, ` sudo dnf install
> > > xorg-x11-server-Xorg`. Otherwise, just do the following
> > >  sudo dnf update
> > >  sudo dnf install deepin-desktop
> > >  sudo dnf install deepin-calendar deepin-calculator deepin-editor
> > > deepin-image-viewer deepin-picker deepin-screenshot
> > > deepin-system-monitor
> >
> > Those instructions seem redundant. I'd expect 'dnf install deepin-desktop'

If only the deepin-desktop is needed, then the single dnf install will
bring in all necessary requirements.

> > to be the only thing needed. 'dnf update' is certainly not needed, dnf updates
> > the metadata automatically.
> >
> > It might be some local issue, but 'dnf install deepin-desktop' on F29
> > fails for me with
> > "nothing provides libdframeworkdbus.so.1()(64bit) needed by deepin-desktop-4.4.7-9.fc29.x86_64".
>
> I can reproduce this.

Yes, right now deepin-desktop only works in Fedora Rawhide (f30). It's
mainly because the deepin desktop is under active development so we
always work on Rawhide first. And since we are coming to more or less
usable status, we will possibly build them in Fedora 29 when we are
available.

> Is deepin available in the gdm greeter? I think this would the easiest
> way to try it out for most users.

To be honest, I am not a GDM user. I will confirm this.

> > == User Experience ==
> > Deepin Desktop Environment focuses on being elegant and easy to use.
>
> Maybe include a screenshot here or two to entice users?

Sure. Will do it later.

--
Ziqian SUN (Zamir)
zsun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx