Re: Fedora 30 System-Wide Change proposal: Remove Obsolete Scriptlets

MH> Is there anything we can do to prevent maintains to override the
MH> change with their next "magical sync" from jira/RDO/github/whatever?

MH> I mean we already say they should not do that, but can we somehow
MH> make sure they actually won't?

This question comes up with every mass change that gets auto-reverted.
I took out the needless %defattr calls a while back and several were
added back in, some because of this and some because one maintainer in
particular reverted a bunch of the commits

Certainly there are things we could do, but… we have avoided doing them
in the past.  Possibilities:

* Checks in the git hooks to prevent pushes which introduce certain
  things into specfiles.

* Adding checks as part of the build process (brp scripts, generally) to
  fail builds when things are detected.  Some other distros fail builds
  if rpmlint fails (which obviously would be bad for our current rpmlint
  configuration but could certainly be improved.)

* Some limited checks are available within koji to prevent some classes
  of builds from being tagged.

* More post-build checks (rpmgrill, greenwave).

Most effort has gone into the latter item, which of course gets ignored
just as the existing rules against wiping out changes are ignored.
There has been no will to implement the "stronger" checks.  If those
checks were implemented, the pain would be great due to Fedora's history
of not strongly enforcing this type of "packaging quality", so
everything has to be "opt out" at best and the general case is that
quality checks are "opt in".

 - J<