Re: Fedora 30 System-Wide Change proposal: Remove Obsolete Scriptlets

ZJ> I think it's pretty clear: all the standard invocations of
ZJ> scriptlets that have by replaced by transfiletriggers will be
ZJ> removed, along with the whole %post/%postun sections if its the only
ZJ> thing in them.

I do think it would be better to list exactly what is expected to be
changed (and which packages actually need which changes).

ZJ> I think that the way this should be handled is that if maintainers
ZJ> of a package want to use a single branch for F30+ and
ZJ> EPEL/RHEL/whatever, it is on them to arrange the spec file with the
ZJ> appropriate conditionals.

Well, that's what makes it tough.  You can remove the scriptlets, or you
can replace them with the various sets of macros which do nothing on
Fedora and do something on EPEL (to the extent that is even possible).
The macros needed are often context-dependent.  Certainly just removing
things is simplest but will cause the most upset.

It's not trivial to know if a maintainer insists on the single spec
approach, so it can be rather difficult to do this in an automated
fashion.  Of course it would be easy if everyone just fixed the packages
they maintain so that there's no need for automated fixup.  I'd hope
that some of that might happen if the lists of packages which need
changes are provided.  I did some of that a couple of releases ago and I
could try to do it again if someone could lengthen the day by a few
hours.

 - J<