Re: Fedora 30 System-Wide Change proposal: Remove Obsolete Scriptlets

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 11:31:46AM -0800, Japheth Cleaver wrote:
> On 12/12/2018 2:20 PM, Ben Cotton wrote:
> >https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/RemoveObsoleteScriptlets
> >
> >== Summary ==
> >Remove scriptlets which are not needed anymore (ldconfig,
> >gtk-update-icon-cache, etc.).
> >
> >*snip*
> >
> >== Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
> >Installed F30 RPMs on F28/EL6/EL7 might not work although it is not supported.
> >
> There's not much description in the link about what's actually going
> to happen here and what's being removed from .specs.

I think it's pretty clear: all the standard invocations of scriptlets
that have by replaced by transfiletriggers will be removed, along with
the whole %post/%postun sections if its the only thing in them.

> Is there going to to be any attempt at coordination of this with
> EPEL? Or, if these are already macros in the .specs, has there been
> thought given to simply changing some of these to no-op macros in
> Fedora instead of removing them entirely?

I think that the way this should be handled is that if maintainers of
a package want to use a single branch for F30+ and EPEL/RHEL/whatever,
it is on them to arrange the spec file with the appropriate conditionals.

Then, scripts implementing this should only touch those packages which
have the scriptlet in the *binary* package. I.e. filter the list of
packages to update by actual 'rpm -qp --scripts' output.

There are multiple mechanism to achieve this:
- general %if checks
- %ldconfig_scriptlets and similar that evaluate to %nil
  ({?ldconfig}, %ldconfig_post, %ldconfig_postun)

Such division of labour makes it possible for the Change owner to
implement this in reasonable time, but still allows individual maintainers
to implement their custom solutions.

Zbyszek