Re: How to avoid re-generating Pagure API keys all the time?

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 6:50 PM Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm not sure this really deserves the level of community objective...
> but perhaps I am wrong.

So, here's why a community objective sounds like a good idea to me
(though other people should feel free to comment if they have
different ideas):

Firstly, I would hope that "making sure the experience of packaging
software in Fedora is a good one" is one of our goals, as a
distribution. (An "objective" with a lower case "o").

Two of our current objectives are "Modularity" and "Rethink the Fedora
lifecycle". I think it is very important that, as we move in the
direction of these sorts of big, sweeping changes, we also make sure
that the experience of packaging remains positive. I don't know what
is necessary to make sure that this happens. But I worry that it won't
happen on its own. I am worried because I feel like the experience
packaging *already* has gotten a bit worse since we retired pkgdb2,
and we haven't done anything to fix that yet.

So I would see the scope or mission statement of such a Community
Objective as follows:

1. To identify parts of the packager workflow that are difficult or
tedious, and to work with the maintainers of the relevant software
components to resolve these issues.
2. In the short term, to identify things that pkgdb2 used to do that
are now harder, or more difficult, for packagers to do today (and to
try and improve things).
3. In the long term, to ensure that the core packager experience
remains high as we continue to roll out Modularity and other future
changes to come.

Maybe what I've just written is the mission statement for a SIG or a
Working Group. But perhaps an Objective could lead to the creation of
such a group?

> IMHO, it mostly needs people spending time and driving it. First,
> gathering a list of issues that are non ideal for maintainers, then
> finding out what it would take to solve each and helping create and land
> fixes for them, be that a pagure bugfix or a workflow change or whatever.
>
> I'd love to help out, but just haven't had the time. If a group of folks
> could help by triaging and labeling things that might make it easier to
> know what needs work and where.

Sure, I agree that this is what needs to be done. But I don't think it
is going to happen on its own without some sort of organization to
make it happen, and to try and organize/focus the work. I don't know
if that organization requires an Objective to make happen, but I think
it would be nice to enshrine this as one of our medium-term goals.

Cheers,
Ben Rosser