Re: Proposal: Faster composes by eliminating deltarpms and using zchunked rpms instead

On 16/11/18 22:07 +0000, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> The core idea behind zchunk is that a file is split into independently
> compressed chunks and the checksum of each compressed chunk is stored
> in the zchunk header.  When downloading a new version of the file, you
> download the zchunk header first, check which chunks you already have,
> and then download the rest.

Just one more thought I reliazed in hindsight, there are ways to cut down
the installed files in RPM ecosystem, currently with a request to omit
documentation (%doc tagged files, see --nodocs/--excludedocs).

Indeed, that's a sort of files you can usually omit without hesitation
in containers/VMs.  Perhaps there are some more bits that are de facto
optional without losing anything from the functionality.

So with clever separation, such bits wouldn't even need to be downloaded
when they will not eventually make it to the disk.  That might make
things like customizing a base container image tiny bit more swift,
e.g. in CI/CD context without many connectivity guarantees (up to
mirrors anyway).  But might not be worth it if the trade-off
is already predictably suboptimal in other aspects.

--
Nazdar,
Jan (Poki)