Re: nsswitch.conf: list of module packages that enables themselves

On Mon, 2018-11-26 at 14:38 +0100, Pavel Březina wrote:
> On 11/26/18 2:21 PM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 8:16 AM Pavel Březina <pbrezina@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > This e-mail is long so I just put the question here before explanation:
> > >
> > > Do you know about any package that installs an nsswitch.conf module and
> > > automatically enables it in /etc/nsswitch.conf? So far I have two
> > > packages - nss-mdns and systemd.
> > >
> > > Why?
> > >
> > > As you might have noticed, in Fedora 28 we switched from authconfig to
> > > authselect. This brought some adoption issues and feature requests which
> > > we tried hard to resolved, mostly related to nsswitch.conf. Thank you
> > > for all your feedback.
> > >
> > > At this point I am aware of only one nsswitch.conf related issue that we
> > > would like to fix. The problem is that when you choose to use authselect
> > > you are no longer allowed to touch /etc/nsswitch.conf (and various file
> > > in /etc/pam.d) manually but you should use authselect and its profiles
> > > instead.
> > >
> > > However, this does not work well for small environments (possibly single
> > > user machines) where you want to just change something in nsswitch.conf
> > > and do not want to create custom profile. For this, we introduced
> > > /etc/authselect/user-nsswitch.conf and 'authselect apply-changes'
> > > command to do this the authselect way (of course you are free to not use
> > > authselect and just modify the files manually).
> > >
> > > But there are some packages that installs nsswitch modules and
> > > automatically puts them in /etc/nsswitch.conf in %post which conflicts
> > > with authselect. We would like to provide an authselect call for these
> > > packages, that would make sure it does not conflict with authselect [1].
> > >
> > > I started working on a design for such feature and I'm trying to obtain
> > > list of all packages that installs nsswitch modules and automatically
> > > enable them in /etc/nsswitch.conf.
> > >
> > > So far I was able to find these packages:
> > > - nss-altfiles
> > > - nss_db
> > > - nss-mdns
> > > - nss_nis
> > > - nss-pam-ldapd
> > > - nss_updatedb
> > > - sssd
> > > - systemd
> > >
> > > But only two of them (nss-mdns, systemd) touches /etc/nsswitch.conf. Do
> > > you know about any other package?
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > > Pavel.
> > >
> > > [1] https://github.com/pbrezina/authselect/issues/77
> >

> > IIRC, doesn't autofs also use nsswitch.conf for configuration?
>
> Yes, but it is not part of glibc. AFAIK it works similar to sudo -
> lookup automount line in nsswitch.conf and acts according to its
> settings. But it does not have proper support in glibc.

Yes, automount uses the "automount:" line of nsswitch.conf.

It doesn't mess with nsswitch.conf and I'm not willing to
change a file autofs doesn't own, it's the users responsibility
to set the autofs map sources they need.

Umm .. "proper" ... I'll take that to just mean I don't use
the glibc API rather than a criticism of what I chose to do.

Originally I tried to use the glibc API and I even had autofs
specific nsswitch example code but I found I couldn't do what
I needed. When I did this I didn't have time to work through
the glibc API code to work out if it did provide what I needed
so I wrote my own parser.

If I need to change that then I'll need pointers to adequate
glibc nsswitch API documentation as I still don't want to dive
into the glibc code to work out how do this.

Ian