Re: Proposal: delay F31 release to work out infrastructure and lifecycle challenges

El lun, 26-11-2018 a las 17:14 -0500, Josh Boyer escribió:
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 5:01 PM Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 9:48 PM Matthew Miller <
> > mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > It seems like there's a lot of room to optimize those things too.
> > > For
> > > example, extract the needed metadata into a database and update
> > > that at
> > > build time rather than compose time, and run createrepo against
> > > that instead
> > > of rpms directly.
> >
> > Completely agree there's a LOT of improvement that can be done, but
> > don't see why that development work cannot be done in parallel and
> > put
> > it into production when each of the various different components
> > are
>
> Because the people that would be tasked with doing the development
> are
> also tasked with cranking out the release.  It's a "need more people
> problem".

This is no longer entirely true, development of the compose tools is
done entirely by PNT DevOps today. Bodhi and other tools in parts of
the delivery pipeline are developed by people in Fedora Engineering who
also have other tasks to do.

> > ready to go. Ultimately a lot of those sort of ways of optimising
> > things are things that have been known for some time but no one has
> > actually stepped up to do the dev work and it it into production
> > shape. Stopping the standard distro work won't miraculously make
> > that
> > other work happen and appear.
>
> Well, I kind of disagree.  Barring magical people that appear out of
> the woodwork that know how the tools work and how they need to be
> improved, I don't see an alternative.  Not doing a release to focus
> on
> our tech debt seems like a good tradeoff.  If there are others that
> really WANT to continue cranking the release with the tools as they
> are today... that might be something that could be pursued.  It would
> still require net new contributors to a critical area.

We would need to engage with the team working on the compose tools and
see what time they can dedicate to meeting Fedora's needs.  Likely a
end state needs to be defined. then the work can be scoped.

Dennis