Re: Proposal: delay F31 release to work out infrastructure and lifecycle challenges

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 7:47 PM Mohan Boddu <mboddu@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 2:30 PM Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On 11/26/18 10:58 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:

>> > Yes, I mean recently, I was involved in the last time we attempted
>> > this, and there was a number of things identified but quite a bit has
>> > changed since that last happened.
>>
>> Yeah, I think our goal should be 1 minute... just as realistic as one
>> hour. ;)
>>
>> I have not looked into things recently. However:
>>
>> * The mock fsync change (https://pagure.io/releng/issue/7909) may help
>> some.
>>
>> * We have plans to redo the setup on the s390x builders, which should
>> result in them being much faster. That should help.
>>
>> * I know pungi maintaienrs have been doing some work to make things
>> faster (even in the last release out this morning).
>>
>> All that said, I am not sure there's going to be a way to get it down to
>> an hour. I think getting it down to 3-4hours may be very helpful tho and
>> might be possible.
>
> I totally agree, also as Peter mentioned, IOT composes are just taking 1 hour as its
> just consuming the repo rather than generating newRepo as the normal
> nightly composes does. If we can generate the newRepo on the fly whenever
> a package gets build and just use the repo to generate the artifacts either
> individually (splitting the compose) or parallely (as we are doing right now mostly)
> that would really help.

Unfortunately the newRepo/installer bit is likely the most I/O
intensive, but I think it we split it out into it's own process, see
mail I just sent, it would be a good start, and then also a good
separate standalone focus for optimizations.

Peter