Re: Last dbus upgrade issues

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 at 15:19, Tom Gundersen <teg@xxxxxxx> wrote:
[..]
>>> What Fedora version? Ideally provide specific rpm versions.
>>> dbus-in-F29 != dbus-in-F30 now.
>>
>> I’m talking about F30 recent change in which has been implemented switch to dubs-broker.
>
> Thanks for the report, and sorry for the inconvenience.

np .. when tree is chopped chops are flying around :)

>  There was indeed a bug in the dbus-broker spec file, which we now fixed with version 16-7 (should land in rawhide any minute).

IMO it would be good to learn something out of that small fault
because few thing went really odd way.

1) if dbus service crashes/is not availaible temporary IMO it wold be
good to prepare whole desktop apps code to not crash but handle dbus
disconnection and maybe display centered message that it is not
possible to connect to dbus. Crashing everything looks really *bad*.

2) dbus and glibc NSS subsystem dependency. Still needs to reviewed. I
think that it is anchored in systemd and such dependency must be kind
of wrong design issue.

3) any other dependency on running dbus service should be IMO closely
investigated and if something is just crashing it should be
changed/redesigned to handle this to at least log that  to system logs
(nothing like this after all was possible to find in systemd journal
or rsyslogd logs).

4) not able to start gdm (because dbus was not running) blocks any
local login. Simple after such crash it is not possible to open or
switch to any local consoles!!!

5) review all scriptlets and delete redirections to /dev/null. If
during upgrade some programs are to much chatty it should be changed
to in the application started in sctriplets. IMO should be considered
replace redirection to /dev/null by logging to system logs. That would
be helpful on post mortem diagnose of any existing scriptlets issues.
However second thought .. to not depend on systemd (because dnf/rpm
are changing state of the systemd) probably it would be good to log or
tee scriptlets output to log file in /var/log.

kloczek