Re: Proposal: Faster composes by eliminating deltarpms and using zchunked rpms instead

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 3:37 PM Jonathan Dieter <jdieter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2018-11-21 at 11:31 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> > After having introduced a new format (OSTree) into the ecosystem here,
> > as well as working a lot on the Docker/OCI ecosystem, one thing I want
> > to emphasize is:
> >
> > A lot of Red Hat's customers don't connect their systems to the Internet,
> > they want easy offline mirroring.  OSTree supports that, and it's
> > also possible to do with OCI images of course.
> >
> > But, a lot organizations use e.g. https://jfrog.com/artifactory/
> > which today doesn't support OSTree (it does support RPM and Docker/OCI).
> > So any format break for RPM wouldn't be usable until Artifactory gains
> > support for it.  And even after that happened you'd have in some
> > places a large lag time for it to be deployed.
> >
> > In general, any data format break is going to impose a lot higher
> > costs than you might imagine.
>
> Thanks for bringing up these points.  You are undoubtedly correct that
> there's an unknown cost associated with these changes, but hopefully
> the cost will become a little clearer once we have a POC.

I'm concerned that this will effectively render EL RPM unable to
handle any Fedora RPMs at all.  That's both a practical concern, as
many people develop Fedora using EL and vice versa, and also a broader
ecosystem concern.  I would very much like for all of our
distributions to be able to more easily operate together, and this
effectively forks Fedora off into it's own space yet again.

Have we really looked at the wider scope of what a format change like
this would do in the context of some of the larger picture things
we're working on with lifecycle and cross-distro collaboration
efforts?  I agree this would be better than delta RPMs when looking at
that *specific* usecase, but improving that (even with compose time
benefits) by doing a format change seems to be inflicting a very high
cost for what is an important but relatively small usecase.

josh