Re: Proposal: Faster composes by eliminating deltarpms and using zchunked rpms instead

On Wed, 2018-11-21 at 11:31 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> After having introduced a new format (OSTree) into the ecosystem here,
> as well as working a lot on the Docker/OCI ecosystem, one thing I want
> to emphasize is:
>
> A lot of Red Hat's customers don't connect their systems to the Internet,
> they want easy offline mirroring.  OSTree supports that, and it's
> also possible to do with OCI images of course.
>
> But, a lot organizations use e.g. https://jfrog.com/artifactory/
> which today doesn't support OSTree (it does support RPM and Docker/OCI).
> So any format break for RPM wouldn't be usable until Artifactory gains
> support for it.  And even after that happened you'd have in some
> places a large lag time for it to be deployed.
>
> In general, any data format break is going to impose a lot higher
> costs than you might imagine.

Thanks for bringing up these points.  You are undoubtedly correct that
there's an unknown cost associated with these changes, but hopefully
the cost will become a little clearer once we have a POC.

> (Also on this topic, I should note that the OSTree data format cleanly
>  fixes a lot of the issues being discussed here; it has deltas, and also
>  doesn't make the mistake of checksumming compressed data,
>  when performing updates only changed files are rewritten, not to mention
>  a whole transactional update system, etc.)

Yep.  I've experimented with OSTree and love the concepts behind it.  I
don't think we're quite ready to ditch the classic rpm systems yet,
though.

Jonathan