Re: Why is sendmail bad?

--On Thursday, February 24, 2005 4:35 PM -0500 "Chuck R. Anderson" <cra@xxxxxxx> wrote:

In my environment, on 99% of all systems, I've never needed anything
but a simple queue-to-smarthost mail sending daemon, with no receive
functionality at all.  Therefore, I don't care which mail daemon is
included, as long as it can do that and supports some type of
/etc/aliases file.  I'd actually prefer to see a simple ssmtp-like
program, but ssmtp doesn't meet those needs (it doesn't queue, doesn't
expand local aliases).

I can understand queuing, in case the real server is down. That can be the simple-minded queuing implemented by most MUA's. But why aliases? Shouldn't those also be handled by the real server?

I'd guess that we could take the SMTP back end off an MUA and call it "sendmail" for application compatibility and ship that.