Why is sendmail bad?

There seems to be a lot of dissatisfaction with sendmail in the call to replace it with Exim or Postfix, but I didn't see any specifics about why people object to it. Anyone care to give details?

I'm using sendmail together with MIMEDefang to run SpamAssassin and ClamAV against messages during the SMTP transaction so that I can reject obvious spam and viruses before they're committed to a queue. MIMEDefang uses a user-edited Perl script to establish the exact rules for acceptance, making the system very flexible. How hard is that to set up in Postfix or Exim?