Re: Fedora Lifecycles: imagine longer-term possibilities

On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 01:36:06PM -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 12:49 PM Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 12:15:17PM -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > >
> > > The problem with merged source trees (aka source-git) is that it
> > > implies forking projects. It's an easy trap to start having vendor
> > > trees and maintain your own functionality independent from upstream.
> > > Fundamentally, I don't want having patches to be too easy, because
> > > then people _will_ do that. Fedora should strive to remain close to
> > > upstream projects and interact with them to make things better[1].
> > >
> > > And the thing is, it's not like I'm unfamiliar with merged source
> > > models. I've worked in distributions that operated that way, and the
> > > consequence is almost always that things are patched and changed
> > > without ever interacting with upstream. Of course, that's their choice
> > > to do so, but most distributions do not have "upstream-first" as a
> > > specific goal.
> >
> > IMHO this is an overly negative view. It is making a presumption
> > that package maintainers are in general bad at what they do and
> > must be made to jump through hoops to "force" them to do the
> > right thing, no matter what the cost to good maintainers.
> >

> This is a fairly realistic view, because I assume packagers are
> inherently lazy when it comes to maintenance. That is, they'll take
> the easiest path possible. And that's perfectly rational.

That's an argument for merged source trees, as it makes maint
easier allowing maintainers to get more work done in less time.

> You're confusing this with trust. And yes, there's some trust to give
> here, but keeping a (tiny) amount of friction for small patch sets
> that increases as your patch load goes up just further encourages not
> maintaining heavy patch loads.

Well we just fundamentally disagree - heavy patch loads are not an
inherantly bad thing that needs discouraging. They're only bad if
they are full of non-upstreamed stuff. If they're pulling bug fixes
into Fedora to improve our quality they are a very good thing.

> > IOW, when patches are a burden, the maintainers are less likely
> > to fix bugs present in Fedora, even if the fix is available
> > upstream. This is counter to what our users want/expect.
> >

> You're assuming that packages have stupid high patch loads like
> libvirt and qemu do. Most don't. And really, the fact you guys just
> backport a bunch instead of just bumping to new versions is something
> I've never really understood.

libvirt / qemu really don't have a stupid high patch load in Fedora
because Fedora's 6 month cycle means they're never very far behind
upstream. Most of the patches to QEMU tend to be CVE backports.

Rebasing to new versions inside the stable releases is not a
straightforward thing. There is always a risk of regression
when doing that and users get very upset of a previously working
guest OS stops booting due to rebasing in middle of a stable
release.  We have rebased in the past but not any more because
not rebasing leads to a more stable offering on balance.

> > > I have not yet seen a practical example of merged source trees
> > > improving the quality of package maintenance.
> >
> > I'll have to disagree on this. I've found merged source trees to make
> > it significantly quicker and more reliable for me to get fixes from
> > upstream pulled back into Fedora packages.
> >

> Is that because upstream is too slow to release fixes, or is that
> because you don't like bumping to new versions?

Upstream QEMU releases once every 4 months and libvirt monthly. Even
if we did change our minds & decide to rebase, it is still too long
to wait for pulling in security fixes and other critical functional
fixes.

> Merged source trees make it much easier to not update the software.
> But split source trees (like our current model) encourage fixes to be
> pushed upstream and bend workflows towards updating to newer versions
> because that's easier.

I will always prefer to rebase to newer versions if I think it is
viable without too high a risk of regressions. Even if rebasing
frequently there's still a need to maintain patches and anything
that makes that easier is a win. Use of merged source trees for
maint doesn't have any bearing on the willingness to take rebases
or leave patches downstream-only.

Regards,
Daniel