Re: Proposal: Faster composes by eliminating deltarpms and using zchunked rpms instead

On Tue, 2018-11-20 at 12:45 +0000, Michael Schroeder wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 08:30:14PM +0000, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> > Just to be clear on this, unlike deltarpm, zchunked rpms shouldn't
> > require extra CPU usage on the client side as they don't go through the
> > decompress-recompress cycle that deltarpms do.  Re-assembling a zchunk
> > file requires no compression or decompression.
>
> Btw, we can easily do that for deltarpms as well. We only recompress
> because we want a rpm that is bit-identical to the remote one.
>
> Having a '-u' option that makes applydeltarpm write a rpm with an
> uncompressed payload and no payload signatures is just a couple of
> lines of code.

But the problem is that you would lose the signatures.  To make this
work, we would need to create signatures of both the compressed and
uncompressed rpm (which wouldn't be a bad idea).  Is there some way we
could (ab)use the current rpm format to make this work, or would it be
a backwards-incompatible change?

Jonathan