Re: XFCE packages gone?

On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 00:15 -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>It's actually the other way round.  I happen to prefer GNU Emacs for
>several reasons, but I know from personal experience that XEmacs is
>far more feature-rich than GNU Emacs.  xemacs-sumo offers a lot of
>applications that are not available within GNU Emacs.  If we are to
>remove one of them, the one that is mostly duplicate functionality is
>GNU Emacs.  w3-mode, mailcrypt, auctex are some of the apps that come
>to mind as built into XEmacs but missing from GNU Emacs.

I already filed a bug for the absence of tramp, which was in xemacs but
isn't in emacs. Despite years of using xemacs I'll certainly have a go
at switching to emacs -- they're large packages and there's such a large
overlap in their functionality that it makes sense to ship only one.

For Exim/Postfix I don't hold out as much hope. I think the 'duplicate
functionality' argument is even more backwards there, but I'm certainly
willing to have a play with Postfix if I get time. It'd be useful if
someone could suggest ways that a Postfix configuration can do the
things which were possible with Exim in FC3 -- in particular:

 - Spam/virus scanning at SMTP time with tunable rejection thresholds,
   as in the default exim.conf

 - Virtual domains with aliases in TXT records in DNS, so that the
   owners of each domain can do maintenance with a Dynamic DNS client.
   (http://david.woodhou.se/eximconf/include/routers-dns-virtual)

 - Virtual domains with local users defined by the existence of a mbox
   file in a given directory, to which that user's mail is delivered.
   (http://david.woodhou.se/eximconf/include/routers-dir-virtual)

 - Automatic rewriting of outgoing reverse-paths using a timestamp and
   HMAC so that no mail is ever sent from a raw address like
   'dwmw2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx' hence no bounces need to be accepted. So users
   stop getting bounces to mail they didn't send, and other sites who do
   sender verification callouts stop accepting fake mail.
   (http://www.infradead.org/rpr.html,
    http://david.woodhou.se/eximconf/include/routers-ses)

 - Correct sender verification callouts using the NULL sender to
   simulate a bounce instead of a postmaster address.

 - Recipient verification callouts for domains for which we perform
   backup MX services, to avoid accepting mail to nonexistent users.

 - Rejection of HELO claiming to be a host in certain domains which are
   known to always have correct reverse DNS, when the host in question
   lacks it.
   (http://david.woodhou.se/eximconf/include/acl-helo)

 - Rejection of hosts failing the CSV (draft-ietf-marid-csv-csa-02.txt)
   record of the name with which they HELO
   ( http://david.woodhou.se/eximconf/include/acl-helo-csv)

And indeed the rest of the spam checks in and functionality seen in
http://david.woodhou.se/eximconf/ including but not limited to the
filters in include/acl-content and include/acl-recipient

These are things which are possible with Exim as Fedora Core 3 shipped
it. Will they be possible with Fedora Core 4 as shipped? Is that 1721KiB
package _really_ duplicating functionality which is available
elsewhere?

--
dwmw2