Re: Fedora Lifecycles: imagine longer-term possibilities

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 at 11:45, <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 5:36 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> But there are some good cases for a longer lifecycle. For one thing, this has been a really big blocker for getting Fedora shipped on hardware. Second, there are people who really could be happily running Fedora but since we don't check the tickbox, they don't even look at us seriously. I'd love to change these things. To do that, we need something that lasts for 36-48 months.
>

> Is 36 months an absolute minimum for getting onto consumer laptops?
>
> Don't underestimate the difficulty of adding an extra year. 48 months is a *lot* harder than 36.  36 is a lot harder than 24 or 27 (2 years plus 3 month upgrade window).
>

>From what I have talked with in the past.. 3 years is their bare
minimum and 7 is their what we really want. It usually takes the
vendor about 3-6 months of work to make sure the OS works on their
hardware without major problems and then they want people to buy
support contracts for 3-5 years where the number of problems needed in
year 3-5 are none. [This means that they want to have Fedora N for 3-6
months before their laptops ship with it. So you ship them a frozen
preload before you release to public. They also want any shipped to
'last' for the warranty cycle because trying to deal with update
questions when N eol's in the middle costs them a lot.]

This matches the majority of laptop buyers whether they are developers
or home users. They cycle a laptop 4 to 5 years with 7-8 looking to be
the new average. They also don't update their OS unless it does it
auto-magically for them.  This is where the majority of profits for
laptop sales come from so the manufacturers aim to please this segment
most. There isn't a large margin on laptop sales anymore

--
Stephen J Smoogen.