Re: Better fonts by default?

On Sat, Nov 10, 2018 at 5:43 PM <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 10, 2018 at 4:03 PM, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Most of the defaults upstream are largely due to legal issues that are no longer applicable.
>

> As of very recently, Marik did make one change: subpixel rendering is now enabled by default in Fedora's freetype package (if you have the latest F29 updates) at build time, whereas it's still disabled by default upstream. But it remains disabled at runtime. But I don't think that's due to legal reasons. I think it's just because that's what Nikolaus prefers. He's an expert on font rendering, and I'm not, so you'd have to ask him.

I'm aware of the subpixel rendering enablement, as I tested it and
sent a pull request to actually fix the enablement[1].

Unfortunately, a lot of text on the web renders really poorly without
rgba subpixel rendering (aka ClearType). It's a lot less noticeable if
you're lucky enough to have a 4K display (which I do not). But having
text look squishy and spaced incorrectly does not make for enjoyable
reading...

[1]: https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/freetype/pull-request/1

> Another difference is that we disable bitmap fonts at the fontconfig level, because it's insane not to. That really ought to be changed upstream.
>
> And Fedora is the only distribution I know of
>
> that actually actively maintains a very large fontconfig configuration for every single font.
>

> I wasn't aware of this?

We require every font packaged in Fedora to have fontconfig
configuration. I know this because I learned about it when I packaged
a font a while ago[2]. Most fonts probably have similarly trivial
fontconfig config files, but there are some that have more complex
ones.

[2]: https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/d-din-fonts