Re: Ursa Major (modules in buildroot) enablement

Le vendredi 09 novembre 2018 à 18:44 +0100, Dridi Boukelmoune a écrit :

> For the Go case (and we can include Rust too) it is indeed very likely
> that, because the model is almost exclusively static linking, a leaf
> package will force the creation of dozens of devel packages only for
> the sake of  BuildRequir'ing them. What about changing guidelines to
> allow such packages to have multiple SourceX archives and list their
> dependencies as bundled(xxx) in the final RPM?

That does not work because bundled code is in a terrible state,
multiarchive rpms suck to create and maintain, and you lose all the
version tracking framework rpm provides (that Go upstream, has not
managed to replicate yet in their own package maintainer BTW).

What works is to make rust or Go package creation and review as simple
and streamlined as possible, so packagers can focus on upstream's poor
code state, instead of fighting rpm or the review process.

That's basically what
https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/2004
and
https://github.com/rpm-software-management/rpm/issues/104
are for the technical parts: automate away the mapping between language-
specific dep mecanisms and rpm dep mecanisms, so packagers can work on
what those dep mean technically not how to rewrite language deps in rpm
deps, and they are helped not hindered by the rpm layer.

For the org part the review process needs a major rework so it does not
provide incentives to publish one frankenpackage that mixes lots of
unrelated stale unaudited lumps of code, over several dozen of clean
modular packages that are easier to maintain and audit and can be shared
between leaf users.

And if you want packagers that ignore upstream’s code state, you'll
eventually get huge highly publicised security holes. Code does not
self-maintain.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot