Re: Ursa Major (modules in buildroot) enablement

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 11:20 AM Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Consider the Go case: we know that most Go packages will be statically
> linked (issues with that are a different topic), so we know they will
> work fine once built.

How does this scale to ecosystems that *aren't* statically linked,
though? Suppose I turn a C++ library, or set of libraries, into a
module, and ship incompatible versions in different streams (different
soname versions, say). Then suppose there are non-module dependencies
of this library in the distribution. What happens when someone tries
to switch the module to the non-default stream on their system?

It doesn't sound like Ursa Major can solve this problem.  As far as I
understand, the only solution is to turn those dependencies into
modules too, and somehow keep the streams synchronized? Is there
planned tooling to do this?

It's all very well to add default streams of modules to the buildroot
automatically-- I think that makes sense, if it can be done in a way
that's transparent to end users and packagers. But-- unless I'm
missing something obvious-- this isn't enough, unless everything is
statically linked.

Ben Rosser