Re: Fedora 29 doesn't know W10 on Grub

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 3:27 AM, Bino <tuxbino@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
> I live in Brazil, pt_BR. :-)
>
> I installed Fedora 29 by live USB, but him not know Windows 10
> partition in grub. I am using dualboot for studying. My machine is
> Asus Zenbook.
>
> Command:
> grub-mkconfig, more.. [0]
>
> A possible solution for problem[1]. I need to test.
>
> 0 - https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/grub.html
> 1 - https://askubuntu.com/questions/886536/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-an-acer-with-preinstalled-windows-10-home

Needs more information to help troubleshoot the problem. I've got
Fedora 29 and Windows 10 dualbooting OK. There are many possible
sources for why grub2-mkconfig won't discover Windows 10, but maybe
the most common:

a. You did custom partitioning, and inadvertently reformatted the EFI
System partition, which would wipe out the Windows 10 bootloader.
b. Some computers make it easy to boot from USB sticks with the UEFI
CSM (fake BIOS, also sometimes called legacy booting), and you end up
with Fedora 29 expecting to boot in BIOS mode which has a BIOS variant
of GRUB; while Windows 10 boots in UEFI mode.

Anyway, for starters I suggest booting Fedora 29 and posting the output from:

sudo blkid
efibootmgr -v

I'm seeing the problem with Windows installations often enough still
on user@ and Ask Fedora that I think we could use a consolidated guide
or wiki for installing to Windows 10; including a guide on how to get
the Windows 10 bootloader reinstalled if it's accidentally erased. On
BIOS installs of Windows, the install media's startup repair would fix
the bootloader stuff, but that's not the case with UEFI installations
in my experience so far.

--
Chris Murphy