Re: Attention Gmail users, please turn off HTML mail

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 03:53:06AM -0000, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> But we can file bugs against Discourse and they will be magically and
> quickly fixed to our satisfaction, yes?

Of course not. However: development is very active.
https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commits/master

> I'm concerned that those proposing Discourse seem to not have used
> Hyperkitty at length.

As you know, I was very excited about HyperKitty. I *did* try it very
seriously at first, but not at length, because it quickly became apparent
that it wasn't really up to the task of being my primary interface to email.
I just couldn't use it for day-to-day communication. Not necessarily any
single thing, but lots and lots of fundamentals. How do I get a list of new
threads? How do I get a list of threads I've read but which have new
I don't want to be alerted on? How do I get to the next thread from the
*bottom* of a thread I just read? How can I search... usefully at all? My
point isn't to rag on HyperKitty, but I could definitely go on.

I tried for a while to file suggestions and bug reports, but especially
after the extra two years it took to even get deployed, it was *very* clear
there were no resources for ongoing development from Red Hat, no significant
non-RH Fedora development, and no meaningful outside development either.
Basic things like https://gitlab.com/mailman/hyperkitty/issues/64 didn't
even get *responses*. So, I stuck with my previous email client setup.

And the thing is, it's *not just me*. Take a look at https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
right now. Every single thread shows a "meh" face and "+0/-0". It says

   Most popular discussions
   No vote has been cast this month (yet).

It is the 19th of the month. Not a single vote on our most busy mailing
list. The same is true for every other list I looked at. People just aren't
using this.

I *really* think HyperKitty has potential. But we can't run on potential.
Discourse is a pure open source project that is *really catching on and
successful*. It's not perfect either, of course, but we're way better off
aligning with something with momentum.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>