Building Steam Proton on Fedora

Hello,

Following the discussion on raising the fileno limit to make Steam
Proton [1] work well on Fedora I was wondering if anyone managed to
build it and document it somewhere. I believe someone did it since
they reported completely stable compatibility [2] on Fedora 28 but
couldn't find build instructions.

I tried and spent a fair amount of cycles on this before giving up and
it appears to me that the situation is quite the mess.

Fedora first.

I didn't manage to use schroot that Proton relies on according to its
README because the apt package in Fedora is in fact apt-rpm. I
understand that it's solving a problem that often users will see "apt
install this" or "apt-get install that" on the web and when package
names match with Debian derivatives then things JustWork(tm). But when
what you want is regular apt, then you are on your own. I managed to
build it from source but then _some_ things don't work and I only have
so many cycles to spend.

It would be nice to have the regular apt package too so savvy users
could pick it over the apt-rpm variant. Other than that, thanks to the
dpkg-related package maintainers, I can do most of my foreign
packaging work thanks to them. But those tools are also a constant
reminder that I wish Debian would have a mock equivalent (with no
complicated setup and privilege requirements, something that just
works).

Even if the above was solved, the way Proton is built is a clear no-no
for Fedora because of bundling and a messy build system that requires
an internet access.

Steam second.

So I tried to build Proton in a Debian VM and things get ugly real
quick. The README has been updated since I last tried so maybe I
should get another round.

The Steam Runtime is based on Ubuntu 12.04, no longer supported.
Things happen in a chroot in an automated manner so you get the
default apt configuration fetching packages over HTTP. To add insult
to injury the Ubuntu 12.04 chroot failed to fetch the PGP key of the
packages.

Eventually I decided it was OK to skip the GPG check since it was only
a temp VM but then ran into more build problems and gave up when I
encountered one were the workaround didn't work.

Ubuntu at last.

So, new VM, using Ubuntu 18.04 this time. I tried to apt install steam
but ran into a bug [3] where the proposed and accepted solution didn't
work for me (I didn't keep the link to the thread, I believe it was on
the Steam forums). Trying to install the missing dependencies removed
apt from the system. Fedora multilib FTW!

Again, new Ubuntu VM, I tried to install Steam from the software
center this time and it worked. I tried to install Proton several
times because it kept crashing and finally I was able to try a game
from my library that didn't work in fullscreen mode on Fedora. It
appeared to work fine with Proton.

Then I downloaded the program I'm interested into, but I can't run it
with Steam Play if it doesn't come from Steam. I tried to run Proton
from the command line but to no avail. Back to square one.

Does anyone have working build instructions on Fedora? I'll give a try
to the updated README but right now the fileno limit is the least of
my concerns... Sorry for the long rant.

Thanks,
Dridi

[1] https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton