Re: hibernation — does it work for you: quick summary

On 10/8/18 4:42 AM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> Various people replied, both here and on reddit [1]. Thank you all!
>
> Short summary:
> works (possibly with minor glitches): 27
> works but with occasional regressions in some kernel versions: 3
> unusable: 10

If I may piggy-back on this thread a bit...

Suspend and hibernate are things that come up in my daily work on a regular
basis; my role so far has been to try to make sure that the kernel can find
(and use) enough info in the ACPI tables on the system so that the kernel can
get both suspend and hibernate to work properly.

This is just part of the issue, of course; we've seen any number of reasons for
failures, from bad ACPI tables, to hardware that doesn't actually know how to
sleep, to systemd or GNOME misbehaving, and in one very odd case a bad mode line
in xorg.conf threw things off.

If I could ask each of you who has responded a favor, if you could please run
the following on the machines reported:

	$ sudo dnf install acpica-tools
	$ sudo acpidump -o acpi.tables

and send a copy of acpi.tables to ahs3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line
telling me what kind of machine it is, I would *greatly* appreciate it.  For the
security conscious, this is the same as sending a copy of the contents of
/sys/firmware/acpi/tables; if you have *any* doubts, just don't send the data.

The reason I ask is to get a broader collection of ACPI tables that do and do
not affect suspend/resume.  This will help me work on improving the ACPI spec
and on improving the kernel implementation so that we can at least remove as
many of the problems as possible.  As Zbigniew has said, empirical data is the
best, but it can be hard to get.  I can't guarantee that any given set of ACPI
tables is the actual culprit, nor that I will be able to examine every one of
them in excruciating detail, but it will be another avenue in understanding the
problem better.

Thanks.  I now return you to your original thread...

--
ciao,
al