Re: Non-responsive package maintainer - Ray Strode (halfline), Plymouth package

On Mon, 2018-10-01 at 16:52 -0400, Ray Strode wrote:
> Hi,
> On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 4:29 PM Stephen <
> fedora2018q2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The maintainer for Plymouth, Ray Strode (halfline), is not
> > addressing
> > its bugs on RHBZ (one response all year on a single bug, accepting
> > patch), including showstopper bugs that are preventing boot
> > entirely in
> > some instances.
>
> I'm around, but I work on a lot of stuff. plymouth doesn't get a lot
> of attention,
> since it basically works.

Hi Ray, unfortunately in some cases it doesn't though. It's currently
completely breaking boot with amdgpu+LUKS, and before that for several
months under amdgpu it was not echoing LUKS characters to screen or
otherwise updating at all after showing the LUKS prompt, making it seem
that password entry was not working and the boot process had frozen.

>  It doesn't see as much development as some
> components because other parts of the stack have been prioritized.
>
> Having said that, Hans de Goede has taken up the mantle of improving
> the
> boot experience recently, including some changes to plymouth. So you
> should
> see some changes soon.
>
> plymouth does get fixes for blocker issues when necessary, and i
> still give it
> some attention upstream.
>
> It is receiving the amount resources we considered appropriate at the
> moment.

Plymouth sits in the unusual position of being simultaneously boot-
critical when enabled, and not actually necessary to the boot process
(AFAIK?)

I believe there's a fair case to be made that for a component with
these unusual characteristics to be default-enabled in Fedora, it needs
enough maintenance resources available for it to continue to work
(modulo short breakages) on at least non-esoteric hardware with which
Fedora otherwise works.

I'm not jumping up and down demanding "devote all your time to fix my
Plymouth bug(s)!" ;) (I've disabled RHGB for now on my system in any
case); rather saying that if there aren't enough resources to make this
level of maintenance realistic at the moment, it might be worth looking
at whether it's still a good idea for Plymouth to continue to be
enabled by default?

Alternatively, if a reasonably flexible blacklist is possible (or
exists?), that might be lower-maintenance, and obviously less nuclear
option than default-disabling Plymouth.