Re: Orphaning some Java packages

On 09/26/2018 08:01 AM, Raphael Groner wrote:
>>> Mikolaj Izdebski wrote:
>>>
>>> This is exactly what I feared when the modules were first proposed:
>>> essential packages moving to modules only.
>>>
>>> I think this is absolutely a step in the wrong direction. Things like "ant"
>>> are essential parts of a distribution. They cannot sit in some module with
>>> arbitrary branches that can be EOLed at any time.
>>>
>>>         Kevin Kofler
>
> As far as I can understand the modules idea and while looking into those yaml files of ant and cmake for instance, I fail see why modules should work without any spec file and therefore also why without rpmbuild. The modules idea seems to be more about how to have a possibility to build a bunch of packages in their own dependency tree for a custom branch (and on which base system that branch should ever work).

Modules are more than just a way to build RPM packages.

To me the most important feature of modules is clear distinction between
different support levels for different packages. Packages that are part
of module API are fully supported (by maintainer and the community in
general), in all aspects. Packages that are non-API packages are
supported only in contexts they are used as dependencies for API
packages. There is also a third group of packages - build dependencies.
These are not supported, except for building other packages with, and
don't even have to be shipped to users in standard repos (mirrors), but
of course are still available in Koji and anyone can use them to build
their modules (locally, in third-party addon repos etc.)

> So in my opinion, modules can never work without any base system built completely from without modules.

Modules are just sets of (zero or more) packages with extra metadata.
Take a non-modular distribution and add metadata file and you have a
module - platform module.

> What I like about modules is that it obsoletes the need to check for the target distribution inside of the spec file (that's now handled with a branch in git). What I don't like is that all dependencies have to get repeated in the yaml file. What real problem do we try to solve?

Dependencies specified in modulemd are higher-level dependencies. They
are not simply repeating RPM package dependencies.

> Please calm down and just my 5ct.

Mikolaj Izdebski
Senior Software Engineer, Red Hat
IRC: mizdebsk