Re: Proposal: Add release announcement post to Go/No-Go criteria

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 6:38 PM Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Isn't this supposed to be the point of the release-readiness meeting that
> follows go/no-go?

Sort of. The Release Readiness meeting is more informative than
decision-making. And historically, we've only held it once. Eduard did
bring up the fact that the Marketing team needed help assembling
talking points in that meeting, as well as in the following week's
Go/No-Go meeting when we approved RC5 as F29 Beta.

The idea behind making this an explicit criterion is that we don't
truly ship until people know we did. In an ideal world, everything
would fall into place on time on its own, but then I'd be out of a
job. :-) So this is more about making it clear that we have to have a
release announcement before we can consider anything shipped. From a
practical standpoint, I wouldn't see this blocking a Final because in
the worst case scenario, we essentially reuse the Beta announcement.

The intent here is to make the fire drill happen sooner, if it happens
at all. I intentionally chose the phrasing "substantially complete"
because 1. it's okay if we're making minor tweaks the day before, but
we shouldn't be needing Paul to create the featured image at 10am on
Tuesday and 2. it is just vague enough that we have some flexibility
to say "it's done".

I'd rather not put it in place, but it's the best option I see for
addressing the symptoms. It would be better to fix the upstream
problem: Marketing not getting enough input on the talking points. I'm
not sure what the solution is there.

--
Ben Cotton
Fedora Program Manager