Re: F29 Self-Contained Change: GnuTLS enables TLS 1.3 by default

* Nicolas Mailhot:

> Le dimanche 23 septembre 2018 à 22:39 +0200, Florian Weimer a écrit :
>> > On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 10:14 AM, Nicolas Mailhot
>> >
>> To be honest, this looks like a misconfiguration of the Google
>> servers.
>
> Actually, this is probably a "we can finally declare IE6 dead and use
> SNI everywhere" moment on the part of Google. Because IE6 was really the
> only remaining reason to bother avoiding SNI.

Clearly not, as this thread shows.

> And from the server side point of view, why would you want to pass on
> SNI? That requires provisioning one dedicated IPs per server name, at a
> time IPv4 adresses get exhausted, and virtualisation pretty makes sures
> you are sharing things right and left.

There's no name-based virtual hosting involved.  RFC 7817 suggests that
there is currently no scalable solution for virtual IMAP hosting
(section 5.1, Notes on Hosting Multiple Domains).

In Google's case, there is only one server, imap.gmail.com:

  <https://developers.google.com/gmail/imap/imap-smtp>

Among other things, this avoids the scalability problems mentioned in
RFC 7817.

Thanks,
Florian