Re: Brainstorming about kernel updates with low disk space

On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 3:58 PM, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> CM> Well, I can't really parse this very well, but the default kernel
> CM> looks like it is changed by grubby, but I can't figure out the
> CM> ordering. It's seems plausible, perhaps likely, that it starts off
> CM> dracut and the grub2-editenv at the same time, and of course editenv
> CM> completes pretty much instantly compared to dracut.
>
> I don't know; I don't see anything being done asynchronously.  I think
> it's not complicated at all, actually, and isn't grubby's fauilt.
> Instead it's simply 20-grub.install doing things in the wrong order.  It
> calls new-kernel-package times (with the pre-usrmove path):
>
>         /sbin/new-kernel-pkg --package "kernel${flavor}" --install "$KERNEL_VERSION" || exit $?
>         /sbin/new-kernel-pkg --package "kernel${flavor}" --mkinitrd --dracut --depmod --update "$KERNEL_VERSION" || exit $?
>         /sbin/new-kernel-pkg --package "kernel${flavor}" --rpmposttrans "$KERNEL_VERSION" || exit $?
>
> So it calls grubby first and creates the initrd afterwards.  The third
> call just ends up running
> /etc/kernel/postinst.d/51-dracut-rescue-postinst.sh.  Which calls
> new-kernel-pkg again (WTF?):

But also the first new-kernel-pkg with --install calls grubby with
makedefault, which is what I think is setting grubenv with the new
kernel variable before the initramfs and final grub.cfg modification
are done.

> new-kernel-pkg --install "$KERNEL_VERSION" --kernel-image "$NEW_KERNEL_IMAGE" --initrdfile "$INITRDFILE" --banner "$NAME $VERSION_ID Rescue $MACHINE_ID"
>
> I've never seen anything other than the rescue image put on the system
> at initial install so I'm not sure at all what that's about.  And for
> extra fun, the /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/51-dracut-rescue.install script
> will run after all of this, though I haven't figured out what that
> actually does at this point since it appears to mostly work with the new
> bootloader entry system.
>
> The timeline of Primer is less confusing than this.

Well I love how you start out with it's not complicated at all, but
then end with, it's a Rube Goldberg contraption. :-P

I definitely think it's a Rube Goldberg contraption.

I can't tell you stracing this helps figuring out the actual order
because at least with -ff -o I end up with hundreds of files. So
that's pretty tedious to sift through. But if you do, also use -D, or
the stracing will prevent FITHAW from happening, and your system will
be locked up for good, unless you already have a shell handy to
manually issue fsfreeze -u

--
Chris Murphy