Re: Brainstorming about kernel updates with low disk space

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 8:44 AM, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd like to brainstorm a bit about how to make kernel updates more
> resilient to running out of disk space.  I've talked to a few people on
> IRC about this but I'm not at the point where I know enough to file good
> bugs and figured that a larger discussion might help.

A few releases ago, Anaconda now defaults to a 1GiB boot partition
which should prevent the problem you're describing for anyone using
the default 3 retained kernels, as well as the extra kdump initramfs
if you're using kdump (not enabled by default on Fedora).

So realistically people need to do clean installs eventually, or
otherwise increase the size of /boot, because changing this at upgrade
time is more complex than I think anyone wants to take on.

> Summary of my questions:
>
> Why is the grub configuration modified to make a newly installed kernel bootable
> before the initramfs has been generated?

I think it's in new-kernel-pkg where grubby ends up being called
twice, and why you see this. I don't know what modifies grubenv to
change the default kernel to the latest version; that should only
happen after kernel and initramfs and the last grub.cfg modification
happens, so that any failure means grubenv still points to the working
kernel. And it's possible grubby does that too and just does it before
everything else is finished.

Anyway the grubby grubby is going away. And modifying grub.cfg is
going away. It was supposed to happen for Fedora 29, but is being
pushed to Fedora 30. This is the relevant feature doing that:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/BootLoaderSpecByDefault

So you could just give up and focus on the new thing being made robust
if you want.

--
Chris Murphy