Re: Call for participation: Fedora Flatpaks

On 9/7/18 9:36 AM, Vít Ondruch wrote:

Dne 7.9.2018 v 03:45 Owen Taylor napsal(a):
I'd like to invite Fedora contributors to start creating Flatpaks of
graphical applications in Fedora. We're still working on putting the
final pieces into place to have a complete story from end to end, but
it's definitely close enough to get started.

If you maintain a graphical application, please try creating a Flatpak
of it. Your experience will vary - some applications are quite easy,
but if your application, for example:

  * Uses qt5-qtwebengine
  * Uses many KDE libraries
  * Uses many Perl or Python packages
  * Uses texlive

etc, then you may want to wait - we will eventually be creating shared
builds to make bundling these easier.

<irony>
Ah, make bundling easier, right. Finally we can bundle!
</irony>

Honestly, I fail to see how this can be promoted as good for Fedora. It
might be good for upstream but not for Fedora.

As far as I remember we try to use upstream packages with minimal local changes, put all our changes to upstream...so what's the problem? Don't you follow upstream with
your package(s)?

ma.

Vít

Also, if your application has a system service, installs a polkit
policy, or otherwise is not self-contained, then it's not a good
candidate for a Flatpak.

Or you can pick one of 280+ applications that have been identfied as
easy to Flatpak:
   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flatpak:Easy

and assist out the application package maintainer by creating a
Flatpak of that.

An introduction, draft tutorial and other documentation can be found at:

   https://fishsoup.net/misc/fedora-docs-flatpak/flatpak/

(The plan is to integrate this into docs.fedoraproject.org
<http://docs.fedoraproject.org>. For now, the documentation source
is at: https://github.com/owtaylor/fedora-docs-flatpak)

For help, please ask on #fedora-workstation on Freenode, or mail
desktop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:desktop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.

Owen