Re: Orphaned Packages in rawhide (2018-08-27)

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 04:56:58PM +1000, Dan Callaghan wrote:
> Excerpts from Till Maas's message of 2018-08-28 00:03 +02:00:
> > python-configobj               fale, lmacken, orphan,         45 weeks ago
> >                                terjeros
> [...]
>
> I will take python-configobj if nobody else will... BUT I don't quite
> understand what this means.
>
> Pagure shows the owners as:
>
>     orphan (orphan) - main admin
>     Fabio Alessandro Locati (fale) - admin
>     lmacken (lmacken) - admin
>     Terje Røsten (terjeros) - commit
>
> The package has no open bugs and is not failing in Koschei so I do not
> see any reason why it needs to be retired.
>
> What does it mean for a package to be owned by orphan while it still has
> other admins who are real people?

Technically it means that new bug reports will not be assigned to any of
these admins but the orphan user. It will make the support status of the
package unclear for everyone looking at it. For example Luke (lmacken)
does not appear to be active in Fedora anymore (IIRC there was also a
non-responsive maintainer process initiated).

> Is this some kind of edge case where the package was owned by
> a maintainer who was inactive, and thus their packages got "orphaned",
> even though there are still other maintainers? Is there any record where
> we can see when or why these changes were made?

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a record anymore since pkgdb
was retired. I assumed it would be visible in fedmsg/datagrepper but it
does not seem to be. However, this might also mean that co-maintainer do
not get a notification when a package is orphaned.

Kind regards
Till