Re: ideas about logging during the initramfs

On 08/17/2018 08:55 AM, Dusty Mabe wrote:
I'd love to make logging during early boot not require everyone
to happen to get the `console=` entries ordered correctly on the
kernel command line. Inevitably we always get it wrong or the ordering
of the `console=` lines on a pre-baked works great for some people
but not for others. What if there was a way to get those early startup
systemd unit messages on all `console=` entries? Maybe there is.

I've got some code that I think could help with this. We basically configure
the journal in the initramfs to log all messages at 'info' level and above
to kmsg. We also have to make the kernel not ratelimit messages during this
time. Check out the proposed change and see what you think:

https://github.com/dracutdevs/dracut/pull/445

Probably obvious question but can you clarify what the exact problem
is with logging in initramfs right now? It sounds like the issue
is that if something goes wrong early it doesn't get logged to
the journal so you want to output it to the console?

Thanks,
Laura