Re: Proposal: Reduce *-devel packages dependencies on other unneeded *-devel packages

On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 at 15:34, Robert Marcano <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[..]
> Yes, read your other email about headers and Requires.private. On
> another email I found another example, where no headers are referenced
> (copy the relevant info here), but I don't think it is easy to detect
> those cases only if pkgconfig's Requires.private is filtered
>
>    # rpm -q --requires krb5-devel | grep libselinux-devel
>    libselinux-devel
>
>    # rpm -ql krb5-devel | grep \\.h$ | xargs grep -l selinux
>    <None>
>
>    # grep Requires.private /usr/lib64/pkgconfig/libselinux.pc
>    Requires.private: libsepol libpcre2-8

Requires.private and Libs.private are pkgconfig static linking dependencies.
Problem is that standard rpm .pc files dependencies generator is used
to generate Requires without distinguishing is some added Requires
will be against package which contains static libraries or not.
Other issue is that using always {Libs,Requires}.private does not make
any sense in case Fedora because only few packages delivers static
variants of some libraries.
IMO because there is only few exceptions amongst other quite big now
population which are using .pc file all {Libs,Requires}.private should
be ignored by OOTB dependencies generator and because number of
packages with static libraries is now small (and i'm sure that it will
be shrinking) adding static linking dependencies should be done
manually.
Few line correction in .pc files dependencies generator will reduce
dramatically current build time dependencies.

I've been trying to talk about this straight to rpm maintainers but
all my arguments have been simple ignored.
https://github.com/rpm-software-management/rpm/pull/411
I'm using on my own system patched rpm and so far I was not able to
find that such patch caused some missing build time dependencies.

kloczek
--
Tomasz Kłoczko  LinkedIn: http://lnkd.in/FXPWxH